Sunday, July 22, 2007

My Lumberjack Stuffed Potatoe!!!

So this is really good! It has that southern taste that I love, and warms me up. When we were living in Japan I really started to miss that southern cooking, I was still new to the whole marriage thing , and I got tired of my husband showing off his skills, so with plenty mistakes , and many attempts I became really good at making this.I just recently added the baked potato in as a bowl to hold the pot roast. The thing is if you use the baked potato as a bowl, there is no need to add potatoes to your pot roast. I on the other hand for my boys still add in the potatoes, because they rather not have the baked potato. The baked potato gives the roast a whole different taste. Once again this a a family favorite, I hope you enjoy!!!

Ingredients:
4lb roast
4 Bay leaves
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
2 Large Sweet Vidalia Onions
6 Med Reg. potatoes
2 reg. size cans Cream of Mushroom w/t roasted garlic (I prefer Campbell’s)
1 reg. can size cream mushroom
2 beef broth cubes
½ tsp rosemary
House seasoning (salt, black pepper, garlic seasoning) season to taste

Direction
Preheat oven to 375 or electric roasting pan.
In a med to large skillet add your oil, and set it to med. High. While that is warming up go ahead a season that hunk of a beautiful roast with you House Seasoning, DON’T BE SHY Pour on the Season!!! When skillet heats up brown roast on all sides approx, 6mins. (I prefer to do that until I see some crispiness). To get all of the sides to brown I use my serving fork, only for about 3mins, and then do the other side.Here is a pic for you. Once all is brown remove from skillet.

Put the roast and its drippings (I know but the drippings make it take really good …lol) into your roast pan. If you’re using your electric roast pan you can now take 2 of the potatoes and place in the oven for 2 hours. If you don’t have one place in the oven on a lower rack. Now in you roast pan add your cans of soup and for every can you use add water. Crumble up your beef broth cubes and then sprinkle it around the pan. Cut your potatoes into sections of 3’s, cut up your onions, now add in with the carrots, bay leaves, and rosemary. After all that is in just stir the pot, make sure to place some onions on top of the roast along with some of the soup you added in (this lets the flavor seep into the roast), make sure to pure some juice on the roast from time to time to keep it moist.
Finally cover the pot and let it cook, about ever 30mins. make sure to check, stir the pot, and add some black pepper and salt (to taste). Let cook for 4 hours, you know it is done when it is falling into pieces.

As for the potatoes when they are done (approx. 2 hrs), slice it down the middle, let cool for about 30mins. Take out a little bit of the potato, and fill with your roast. The filling that you took out mix it into the gravy on the side or place back inside … it’s up to you.

Verdict: It simply tastes great, takes a long time to cook , but the results are worth it. Enjoy!!!




No comments: