Saturday, August 4, 2007

Sweet Teriyaki Beef Short Ribs


After being stationed in hawaii and already missing those lunch plates, that you can basically get anywhere I started to crave for th beef short ribs. Short ribs already make you feel like you don't get enough meat, but depending on where you are at in Hawaii you can get a pretty good portion or you can be left feeling like, "Okay there is some meat on here, Right?". Well with adding a little bit of seasoning here and there, besides just the teriyaki sauce, I feel I have mastered the taste I was looking for.
Ingredients:
4lbs beef short ribs
1 large sweet Valida Onion (optional, don’t need it but I love the taste it bring to the meat)
1/3 cup oil (I prefer extra Virgin Olive oil)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/cup Teriyaki Sauce (the brand I use is Kikkoman) Found in the oriental section
2 tbsp 1tsp honey
House season (black pepper, salt, garlic powder)

Direction:
Pour the Oil into the pan. While you are waiting season you beef, on both sides. When oil is warm place your beef on the skillet (Skillet is easier to use so you can get everything on).
Let it cook for about 12mins on both sides or until it browns. Try to limit the time you flip this meat over, I normally flip it once. Cut up that sweet smelling Onion, set aside. In bowl add your brown sugar, honey, and sauce, mix well, and then set aside. When the meat is done remove the meat from the skillet place in a deep bowl or a pot. Now add those onions to the skillet just let the onions cook, but don’t let them brown…. so about 10mins med high tempt keep moving the onions around. When the onions are done, add this to the meat, and then add in the teriyaki mixture, stir this all together really well. Afterwards, turn back on the skillet to a med High temp, pour everything back on to the skillet let this cook just until the sauce kinds of caramelize so for about 5-10min. Thats it.
My input:This meat is a little oily, so is your concerned try not to ad too much oil, or eat with other oily foods. The taste is sweet, so don’t get carried away with the House Season….it will leave a salty sweet taste (UCK!) We love this served with some nice fluffy rice. If you want to add some fruit to it Pineapple works real well cooked in with the Onion. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Short ribs! oh gosh, send me some of that food! I love ribs - any king.

Cynthia said...

Adama, can you please email me at: tasteslikehome@gmail.com so that I can send you the recipes? Looking forward to hearing from you.